Originating in Sicily, Italy, this humble yet flavorful Sicilian-Style Whole Orange Cake uses oranges in their entirety, including the juice, peel, and pulp (minus the seeds)! Otherwise known as pan d’arancio, this cake is created with almond flour for a soft, tender crumb and without milk and butter, which keeps it light and airy. This recipe calls for Valencia oranges, known for their sweet flavor, which are most commonly cultivated in southeast Sicily. The thin skin of Valencia oranges allows for a slight bitter taste that balances with the sweetness throughout the cake without overpowering the vibrant citrus. While the cake itself is naturally gorgeous, with bright orange speckles found throughout the crumb, the Nordic Ware® Citrus Twist Cake Pan is what really brings this cake to life. With symmetric ridges mimicking the appearance of twisted orange slices surrounding the grooves that resemble a single orange slice planted in the center, the Nordic Ware Citrus Twist Cake Pan turns this Sicilian-Style Whole Orange Cake into a work of art with ease. Perfectly paired with a cup of coffee or tea, this cake is ideal all year round!
Sicilian-Style Whole Orange Cake
- 2 Valencia oranges (400 grams), chopped and seeded
- 1¾ cups (219 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (96 grams) fine-ground almond flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- ½ cup (112 grams) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray an 8-cup cake pan* with baking spray with flour.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, process oranges until almost completely puréed, about 30 seconds. (There should still be some small chunks remaining.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat granulated sugar and eggs at medium-high speed until pale and thick, 5 to 7 minutes. With mixer on medium speed, add oil and vanilla, beating until combined. Add puréed orange, beating until completely combined. Add flour mixture, and beat at low speed just until combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap pan on kitchen towel-lined surface 5 to 6 times.
- Bake until top is golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes, loosely covering with foil after 45 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, orange zest and juice, and melted butter. Pour glaze over cooled cake. Serve immediately, or let stand until set, about 20 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
#SicilianStyle #Orange #Cake #Bake #Scratch